Their is a fresh attacks on Sunday and Monday by suspected Fulani herdsmen on four communities of Southern Kaduna had reportedly claimed 21 lives and left many houses burnt, Punch report.
The state Police Command, however, could not confirm the casualty figure. The command’s Public Relations Officer, Aliyu Usman, said the figure was however exaggerated.
The villages affected in the renewed attack included Ashim, Nissi and Zilan in Atakad District of Kaura Local Government Area and Bakin Kogi in the Goska District of Jama’a Local Government Area.
The attacks in Ashim, Nisi and Zilan reportedly took place at about 6am on Monday.
While that attack claimed 15 lives with no fewer than 50 houses razed, the attack in Bakin Kogi occurred on Sunday at about 5pm, leaving no fewer than seven persons dead and houses razed.
The President, Takad Community Development Association, Mr. Enock Andong, confirmed the attacks, saying the attackers were heavily armed.
He said, “They came around 6am today (Monday) and they killed 15 people in Ashim and Zilan alone. I am on my way to Nisi to find out the situation of things there.”
On the attack on Bakin Kogi, a former leader of the Kaninkon Development Association, Mr. Enock Barau, said the attackers were clad in black and shot sporadically on arrival in the community.
Barau added that the attack lasted for about four hours while the community, with the support of soldiers, tried to repel the attackers.
He said, “On Sunday, around 5pm, we heard gunshots within our surrounding. When I heard the gunshots three times, I came out of my house.
“It (gunshots) continued rapidly; before I could realise what was happening, they had surrounded part of the community. I saw many people coming down from the hill side shooting and running. They were in black.
“As the shooting lasted from 5pm to 9pm, we managed to evacuate women out to a safe zone while the men stayed for defence.”
He said the attackers burnt houses as they shot.
“Over 100 houses were set ablaze. Seven people were killed and one person is still missing,” he added.
The Special Assistant, Media and Publicity to Governor Nasir El-Rufai, Mr. Samuel Aruwan, said in a statement on Monday that the situation had been brought under control.
In its reaction to the attacks, the Defence Headquarters, also on Monday, vowed to arrest the attackers.
The Director, Defence Information, Brig. Gen. Rabe Abubakar, described the attacks as unfortunate and urged residents of the areas to give prompt information to the military to avert future attacks.
He said, “It is unfortunate and intolerable. The military in conjunction with security agencies are doing their best to curb this heinous crime. However, we will not relent until all criminals and violent herdsmen are suppressed. We urge all and sundry to give us timely information on the activities of these elements. All must join hands to explore any available measure to bring peace.
“Nobody is above the law and we assure our citizens of the military’s total commitment to the course of rescuing our people from the hands of criminal herdsmen and other gangs.”