US President Donald Trump has invited Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas for a visit to the White House, according to Palestinian officials.
The two men spoke by phone on Friday for the first time since Trump’s inauguration on January 20.
Trump invited Abbas “to visit the White House soon to discuss ways to resume the [Palestinian-Israeli] political process”, Wafa, the official Palestinian news agency, quoted Abbas’ spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeina as saying.
There was no immediate confirmation from the White House about the meeting.
Rudeina said that Trump stressed his “commitment to a peace process that would lead to real peace between Palestinians and Israelis”, Wafa reported.
Abbas told Trump that peace was a “strategic choice” for the Palestinian people which should lead to the “establishment of a Palestinian state alongside Israel”.
The meeting, the first between the two leaders, is expected to focus on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, as well as the continued building of Israeli settlements.
Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank are considered illegal under international law and have been major stumbling blocks in negotiations between Palestinians and Israelis.
The former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Prof. Chukwuma Charles Soludo, said the size of nation’s Gross Domestic Product has shrunk from about $575 billion to about $354 billion.
Soludo said this at an economic talk shop, organised by the Vanguard newspapers.
The talk shop which had other panelists such as Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, former governor of Edo State, Dr Kayode Fayemi, also a former governor and Minister of Steel and Solid Minerals, Issa Aremu, the deputy president of the Nigerian Labour Congress was moderated by Mr. Fola Adeola, the founding managing director of Guaranty Trust Bank.
The talk shop had the theme: “The Hard Facts to Rescue the Nigerian Economy,’’ on Friday in Lagos.
Soludo in his keynote speech said that the shrunk GDP was arrived at using the official exchange rate of N304 to the dollar.
In his estimation, the GDP is even much lower —$232 billion—, using the parallel market exchange rate..
“In the previous 16 years, Nigeria’s GDP more than doubled in US dollar terms.
“But in less than two years, depending on the exchange rate you use, we have more than reduced the value to less than 50 per cent of what we met, in less than two years, in US dollar terms.
“We would get out of recession any moment from now, with oil price increasing.
“But it would be a miracle if the government is able to return the GDP in US dollar terms back to the level it met it, even by 2023.”
He commended the Federal Government on the unveiling of the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP).
Soludo said that the ERGP could still be expanded on how the economic diversification can be actualised.
“But it would take all hands to be on the deck to be able to pull out.,” he said.
He said that the present government had tried in blocking loopholes and stopping insurgency but solving the foreign exchange volatilities had remained a challenge.
“To be fair, this government inherited a bad economy.
“The previous government had an unprecedented rate of debt accumulation, even at a time of unprecedented oil boom and was even depleting our foreign reserves instead of doubling the reserves.
“Insecurity, especially in the north-east was very high, and corruption was pervasive,” he added.
A press conference held today at No.1 Festus Keyamo Lane, Anthony Village, Lagos with Canadian-based Nigerian singer, Stephanie Otobo, who accused Apostle Johnson Suleman of sleeping and impregnating her.
Here are the 10 revelations according to a blog online:
1. The man of God deceived her after lying that his wife does not satisfy him in bed.
2. At one occasion he gave her the entire money he made from a 3-day crusade.
3. His ex-girlfriend is Nollywood actress Daniella Okeke.
4. She has his manh00d photos and it is of average size.
5. He pours his sp3rm on her back and he loves s*x so much he makes her ride him even while he is sleeping.
6. He regularly sent her huge amounts of money $6,000, $8,000 etc.
7. They regularly went on vacations, from New York, to Napoli to Canada then back to Nigeria.
8. A friend of Stephanie who is a singer in Suleman’s church gave her his number so she called him asking him to help confirm from God whether the man in her life at that time was her husband, but instead he started asking her out.
9. He deceived her by tricking her to drink poison that he disguised as juice which then aborted her baby and made her see blood for 1 whole year.
10. She needs N500 million compensation for all she suffered in his hands.